What is Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR)?
Participate in a stress reduction program proven to work by 30+ years scientific evidence.
Examine your relationship to thoughts, emotions, awareness and reactivity. Consider your self-critical nature and develop self-compassion.
Open yourself to your own possibilities and development. MBSR training includes
- Eight 2-3 hour informative and experiental classes
- One all day silent retreat
- Training in self-regulation and decreased reactivity.
- Body awareness practices
- Instruction in sitting concentration and open space meditation
- Instruction in walking meditation
- Mindful movement
- Training in expanding awareness
- Instruction in the scientific basis of mindfulness benefits
- Practice in mindful communication
- Integration of mindfulness practice into your daily home and work life
MBSR can offer you
- Lasting decreases in physical and psychological symptoms
- An increased ability to relax
- Reductions in pain levels and an enhanced ability to cope with pain that may not go away
- Greater energy and enthusiasm for life
- Improved self-esteem
- An ability to cope more effectively with both short and long-term stressful situations.
Men and women participate in mindfulenss programs for various reasons. Some want to deal better with the stresses of daily life, to have less anxiety, be more in control. Others want to life a fuller life and be more present in their experiences. Others want to deal with health problems such as chronic pain, abdominal distess, sleep problems, chronic fatigue or headaches.
Mindfulness assists you in relating directly to what is taking place in your life. By expanding your awareness, you tend to be less overwelmed by emotions and thoughts.
Response to the course as measured by student evaluations is overwelmingly positive (see evaluations). Most students have had improved emotional connections, improved self-image, and reported that they are dealing with the stresses of life in a more functional manner.